Thursday, June 21, 2007

Solstice

Here is my first 5/2 cotton baby blanket going on the loom. This blanket will be 42" on the loom with a sett of 20 epi. When I use the 20/2 cotton tripled, the blanket is 36" wide, sett 24 epi. My goal is to take this with me when I go back East in 10 days.

The color isn't very good here, but it shows off a little problem I had to solve. You can see the 2 green ends that come together in the center. They are both thread #1 of the horoscope. The baby blanket is actually a mirror image 360 ends x 2. What I had to do is remove one of the green threads (I picked the one on the right) and insert it as thread 360 on the right side. It was easily done, but it stopped me for a day.

Here is a surprise, the cobalt ikat dyed 8/2 cotton all dry. It got much lighter. Sadly I won't have time to weave something with it before I leave. What the yarn lost in depth of color, it gained in softness. I think it will make wonderful towels.


While the cotton was drying on the patio, one of the Japanese Tree Peony dead heads called out to me.

Oh, a piece of good news: I just found out the 50# suitcase containing all of my supplies, slides, and weaving samples for the NEWS Conference arrived safely in Massachusetts and is awaiting my arrival.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So what is your sett in the reed? Do you use the 5/2 single or doubled? 2 per dent in a 10 dent reed?

Enjoy your trip back east and happy solstice!!

Bonnie said...

Hey, thanks for the question. I use a 10 dent reed with 2 per dent, but here's the rub...my 10 dent reed is 40" wide and the blanket is 42" wide. I'll either have to remove an inch from each side of the border, or remove the border altogether. Hmmm, I'll have to think about that a bit. I'll let you know what I decide.

Christine said...

I do hope I get to see the blanket in July!

c u r i o u s w e a v e r said...

Bonnie
Your dyed ikat skeins are wonderful. Blue and white always seems to have a magic about it that other colours don't. The baby blanket is inspiring and great for the baby that you want be be creative as an adult!
Kaz

Anonymous said...

>the 50# suitcase arrived safely

Gee, I guess you'll have to continue being a weaver... ;>

Syne