Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Must ...Not ...Weave... Must ...Get...Ready...For...Trip

I never thought weaving could be a form of procrastination! I am so jazzed about seeing how this 8/2 unmercerized cotton in turned weft ikat weaves up that I can't seem to turn my attention to getting ready for my 3 cities in 3 weeks trip. (coming up in 5 days!) But now I have to take this piece with me. It is only a 3 yard warp after all...


The weaving light was on, so the color is distorted, but I just had to try a little weaving before I officially start my day. The sett is 24 epi, and I thought I would try using the same yarn (since I have 25# of it) for the weft. I wondered if it would wash out the ikat too much, but I don't think so from looking at this first inch or so.

White (or off white) goes a long way--especially here in the Northwest. But for towels, I think white is an exception.

OK, I really have to make my train reservations now (Baltimore to NC and then NYC to Springfield MA), but I'm sure to hit the loom again before the day is over.

2 comments:

Marie said...

Could you please explain "turned ikat weft"? It's the "turned" that has me stumped!

Bonnie said...

Good question, Marie
Most warp ikat is made by first winding the warp, then tyeing the design into the warp, and finally putting the warp onto the loom. Weft ikat is made by winding skeins the width of the warp, tyeing the design into the skein, winding the skein onto a shuttle, and weaving it as weft. Turned weft ikat is winding skeins, tyeing the design into the skein, winding the skein into balls, and using the balls to wind a warp. When you use the yarn in this fashion, the design in the warp is created end by end as you wind.
I hope this makes sense. If not, ask again. It is much easier to show than to explain.