Thursday, September 6, 2007

Wow, Another Towel!

I tried to upload a little movie of the members of the Whidbey Guild, but I was unsuccessful on the first try. The next time I have Bernie, my computer wizard and friend, over I will have him give it a try.

Every time I go to Whidbey Island, I come home full of dreams of living there. I know I am too urban for island life, but still.... Whidbey Island is a world class weaving mecca.

My talk was really good. I told a new story: How Easy Ikat evolved into Turned Weft Ikat. Beginning plans were made for a future Dye Day and a Towel Project. Here is the funny part: I used up most of my time during the slide lecture, and I didn't have time to show the guild my collection of samples! I did get to display my finished examples and the blanket panels which seemed to be enough. Maybe I should make a quilt out of the samples? hmmm. I'll put it on my to do list.

After my talk during "show and tell", Paula, who described herself as a new weaver, showed her natural undyed cotton towels. I was so struck by their look and feel I didn't pay attention to her description of the weave structure, where she got the yarn and how she finished it. Actually I do recall hearing Paula say she poured boiling water into the washing machine during the washing process. And the towel is so soft, I am sure it will be extremely absorbent. I just emailed Paula to ask her for the details. I will add them as soon as she replies.

Paula's reply: I got the yarn about a year + ago from FoxFibre. It is natural cotton and "Colorganic Yarn". It came with instructions that the colours would deepen as washed, especially in boiling water (that's why I added about half boiling water to my washer when I
washed them when they came off the loom). I bought 2 colours: dark & medium
green in 10/2 weight. I then added some older natural cottons labeled K.N. 6/2 25% green & 50% brown. I used a Swedish Lace pattern from Marguerite Porter Davison's A
Handweaver's Pattern Book Traditional Lace Unit page 94. I used a 14 dent
reed doubling up on the 10/2 cottons and using the 6/2 cotton at about 1 per dent, threading a few 6/2's at 2 per dent regularly and periodically to get the correct epi. I eventually wove all 3 treadling options, some with variations for my eventual 6 towels.


I have another blog friend, Ames, who weaves undyed natural colored merino wool blankets. (in the same spirit as the cotton)


Here is a particularly exciting patch of warp with the 10/2 tencel from Just Our Yarn
The only bad part about having such a luscious warp is that I want to weave slowly in order to revel in the luminous color.

No comments: