Sunday, August 12, 2007

Saori Weaving Hob Nobs with Blanket Panels

I didn't have anyplace to hang and photograph my "Weave Everyday" piece, so my Big Commission Blanket in progress was kind enough to offer a contrasting backdrop. I didn't know what to expect when I cut this weaving off the loom. I had no plan! I just wove whatever I felt like when I sat down to weave! I never expected to experience a rush when I unrolled the cloth beam. I don't think weaving will ever be the same for me although now I have to weave a horoscope weaving and another ikat towel sample for an upcoming lecture.

I am a little nervous about laundering this piece as I have blended merino wool (warp) with merino, musk ox, and cashmere for the weft. I will probably wash by hand and dry flat. I have had things I have woven in merino wool shrink as much as 45% in the washer, and my experience with cashmere is it hardly shrinks at all. I was surprised to discover the cashmere sweaters I get from the second hand stores can be washed on gentle and dried on low with fabulous results.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great piece. There's a saori studio near where I live - now I'm inspired to go and check it out.

Anonymous said...

Your photo looks like an art piece in itself! I'm inspired.
Kaz

Anonymous said...

I love the 'Weave Every Day' way of weaving and your piece looks great!

Happy Weaving!
Terri