Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Big Commission--Chapter 3

One of the great things about having woven for 47 years is it seems like I weave all the time. What is true, though, is I go in many directions at the same time. Every once in a while, I like to take a break from all that color and try to find the color nuances in black and white. Every once in a while, I get the opportunity to create a large weaving. As I mentioned before, the big commission will be a 90" x 100" blanket. The warp is bamboo and the weft recycled cashmere sweaters. Every once in a while, I begin a project without a plan. I just begin and see where it takes me.
I had this idea: What if I combined my Easy Ikat technique (the center stripe) with random stripes of ikat dyed yarn. I wanted to see what sort of patterns emerged all by themselves. This is an example of my getting the threads to do some of the work. It is also an example of my attempt to dialogue with the treads.

Here is the first panel as it hangs on my wall. I am not sure where I will go from here, so I am looking at it often waiting for the next panel to announce itself.

On a completely different topic:
Shall I tell you about the lowest low from yesterday? Oh, it's too late again. Besides in the light of day today, I realized it wasn't the lowest low at all. It was merely a good lesson for me, but all too often good lessons seem like bad news.

No comments: