Saturday, August 7, 2010

First Visit to the Garden


Even in a picture, it is hard to imagine the scope of Garden, the amount of work that has already been done, the amazing speed in the which the garden is taking shape, and the vast amount of work yet to be completed.

Seated at the center point of the Garden of 1000 Buddhas is the 25-foot figure of Yum Chenmo, or the Great Mother. In the Sanskrit language she is known as Prajnaparamita, or “Transcendent Perfection of Wisdom.” She is depicted in feminine form because it is said that it is this perfect wisdom that “gives birth” to all of the Buddhas, as well as the bodhisattvas,those who are striving for enlightenment to benefit all beings.

Here I am with Konchog Norbu, the Buddhist Monk who is overseeing this grand project. He gave me a most welcoming tour of grounds, and took me into the barn where the 1000 Buddhas
are being made and stored.



Here is a Buddha still in the mold.


And here is the just shy of 600 Buddhas.

Although it doesn't look like it, it does smell like a barn. Konchog told me the property used to be a working sheep ranch. I just found out that the land for the Garden was acquired 11 years ago, and it has taken all this time to get to this point in the process.

We unloaded the loom in the garage, and I will be back on Sunday to thread the loom to be ready to begin the weaving on Monday.

To read all about the Garden, click here to tour the beautiful website.

5 comments:

Konchog Norbu said...

Well, I'm not overseeing the Garden; no way it'd be so far along if I were! A couple named Chris and Steve are. But we're so glad you'll be here, weaving a little magic into our lives!

Bonnie said...

Thank you for clearing that up. I wasn't sure what to call you, but at least now I can say your name correctly (grin)

Unknown said...

Its so nice to see you in The Garden. As I wished to Share and contribute my energies to the Project I have initiated the Dalai Llama Horoscope weaving in Hyderabad. We have already Warped the Loom and it will be ready for weaving tomorrow. You will be happy to know that We will be in SYNC with the weaving same days across the globe. Its indeed a WOW connection (grin)

Bonnie said...

Sharmila, I have tried to email you a couple of times this evening, but my email won't send, but I just had to let you know just how thrilled and touched I am to have create a Dalai Lama weaving on the other side of the world. It is like you are here with me. You have made this experience more wonderful that I could have ever imagined.

Unknown said...

Dear Ms Bonnie,
I cant really tell you how wonderful to the warp is looking. Its an amazing story of connectivity. I will try and send you some pics before I go to bed on what we did today. tomorrow is a Big day for US all ( you me and weavers at the center) The Director Incharge is coming to the City and he will stop by to see this weaving exclusively and majore weaving will happen tomorrow with him weave the first bit. We are 2/10s on the warp and 2/20s on the weft Its going to look so different from the original weave I have but will look just WOW. We have warped for 5 scarfs of 2 mtrs each so the next two scarfs will have cotton yarn one with 2/6s and other 2/10s dyed in Natural dyes. I need to see what I can do for the next two pcs coz we are out of Yarn. Chennile was not apt for this at all. I might weave plaids with the remaining little bits of the yarn from the warp and source yarn for the last pc. I am SO EXCITED and happy that I am connecting and doing my bit here. The folks at the weaver service center are amazing. And my friend is a true friend indeed. Just understanding my heart and mind behind all this. and another major break through is I found my weaver (through my friend again) I am so astonished by the way we met and things unfolded just blew my mind off. Will tell you in detail when we talk. I will send you these pcs for fund raising( this is my bit for your mission with The Garden)
Everyone here is so excited about this weaving event And its Indeed a WOW .