Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Weaving Happens

HERE ARE SHARMILA'S WORDS
A couple of years ago while talking to a group of design students at their orientation I remember saying " Its time to adopt an artisans family" be it a potter, a weaver, a sculptor or even a farmer to support thier activity to suppoort our lives.

That day that moment I did not realise how strongly I felt what I said. What unfolded magically in these two years is what you see here.

All the Puzzle pieces, Ms Bonnie, The weaver and I fell in place.
I met this wonderful weaver family Goverdhan and Sujatha, who are weaving the traditional silk Ikat for many many years. They have learnt to weave just by being around from their parents and grandparents.

Goverdhan and Sujatha have two amazing little boys who are growing up in the middle of all weaving activity. Though their passion is to weave, it doesnt support their family economically. Weaving has become one of the many things they do for sustainability.

Goverdhan and his family were very apprehensive in the beginning about what is going to become of this association. But the originality and the uniqueness of the horoscope weaving, the people associated with it and the plan made them see what its going to be.

I am glad they are now a part of our family.

The joy of weaving has returned with work and experiencing fair deal in trade.

The threads of His Holiness Dalai Llama horoscope weaving has wrapped us all from Ms Bonnie in Montana to us in Hyderabad and Goverdhan in Puttapaka ( a small weaving village).

I am as curious as a child now than ever to see what happens when each new warp is wound and each new weft is inserted.

Over to You Ms Bonnie.......... :)




And would you believe it, this weaving arrived at my door on my birthday! Sharmila tells me that the reason the colors look so different is because the weft is different from picture above.


I have to get a better picture of the ikat, but I wanted to put up the post today. When I look at the ikat, it makes be realize that my ikat (which I have called: EASY IKAT, TURNED WEFT IKAT, ALMOST IKAT) should really be called "ga ga goo goo" ikat---baby talk.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I kind of Like your "ga ga goo goo" ikat too.........

Sandra Rude said...

The silk is truly wonderful. Are the weavings going to be available for purchase someday?

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your blog and was hopeing as I did you can be a follower on mine. www.roof-detective.blogspot.com. It's about home and garden and even recipes.