Friday, October 29, 2010

A New Approach


For this Color Horoscope Weaving shawl in Bambu 12 (warp ends doubled and sett 24 epi), I decided to begin by designing the Almost Ikat accent stripes first and then fill in the horoscope around the ikat. Almost Ikat is really the same as Turned Weft Ikat. The difference is that Almost Ikat is created using commerical space-dyed yarn (rather than tying and dyeing the yarn myself) as I do in Turned Weft Ikat, but the designing on the warping board part is the same.



The client requested a 28" wide shawl with lots of black. The width of the horoscope portion is 15". That means 13" of added warp. I decided to put an ikat stripe on either side of each of the 10 planets. Pictured above is the red planet stripe, and below are all the planet stripes in order of where they fall in the horoscope.

Then I wound sections of the horoscope to fill in between the planets. I can't wait to wind it back on the loom to see how this approach works since I usually work the other way around---horoscope first accents second.

Meanwhile, I just had to get outside and take a little walk. Here is the street where I live. The last of the autumn leaves.

3 comments:

Cate Rose said...

That piece will be so beautiful, Bonnie. I can't wait to see it finished! Have a great weekend.
Hugs.

Valerie said...

It really is a gift when you tell us what's going on in your head when you plan a warp. This one is so lovely (but to be honest...every one you have ever posted is lovely). Can't wait to see the finished shawl!

Sara said...

Nice trees! Lovely...

Oh, nice weaving too :)!