Thursday, May 14, 2009

Up, Running and Published!


I have yet to figure out how to make the writing on the blog appear above the picture! There are several things I want to say before I talk about the pictures, so pretend you don't see them yet.

First and foremost, read my new article just out on WeaveZine! It is called (oddly enough) OUTSTANDING MORAL FIBER, WEAVING WITH RECYCLED CASHMERE.

And second up is my Etsy Store, Bonnie Tarses Designs! It is an ever changing work in progress, but I have cashmere and cashmere related items.

And third, I put this warp on the loom last weekend....something happened.

Most of the cloth I weave with un-knitted cashmere is warp dominated. The cashmere adds a luxurious texture, warmth, and drape but remains a subtle undertone. I wondered what would happen if I changed the sett of Bambu 7 yarn from 20 epi to 15 epi, so I did.



Here is a delightful weaving method full of surprises. First I line up as many different colored balls of yarn as I want to use. I must have collected at least 100 different shades of cashmere. In this case, I picked out light to dark neutrals. Then I pick up any light threads and wind them together on my rag shuttle. I wind to the count of 5 (It could be any number you choose). I break the lightest

of the three threads and tie on another ball of a slightly darker thread. I wind to the count of 5 and break off the now lightest thread. (Some people will do anything to not dye yarn)



Triple weft threads create subtle and rich color possibilities. There is probably a Japanese name for this method of creating yarn.

Although this technique is used in Saori Weaving, I first came upon it back in the 70’s in Peter Collingwood’s book The Techniques of Rug Weaving, p. 130, Meet and Separate Technique, B. Method Using Clasped Wefts. I am surely using the clasped wefts in a more Saori style because I am weaving without any sort of plan.


And of course I have to toss in a little variegated yarn for color.

I love the look! I haven’t cut this off the loom yet, so I can’t report on how it finishes.

Stay tuned.....

6 comments:

Woven Spun said...

way to go on the article and the etsy store.

Sandra Rude said...

Bonnie, when you import images into Blogspot, it always puts them at the top of the post. However, they needn't stay there. You can click on an image, then cut and paste it where you want it to appear. Easy-peasy.

Congrats on the etsy store! And the article, too, of course.

Peg in South Carolina said...

I like you clasped wefts. Peter Collingwood was a wonder. And I too like weaving without a plan. Sandra's plan works fine for photos. But for at least six months I have been using I have been using Windows Live Writer for writing my posts. You can have several drafts going at once. There is a lot more control over things like placement and size of photos. And it save your drafts to your hard drive. The program is free. This is a case where you get a lot more than you pay for!

Anonymous said...

Good work on the Zine article and I like what's on your loom now a lot too. So many possibilities ...

sampling said...

Bonnie, I love your weave, and wonderful use of the cashmere. I had a quick lesson in clasp weft late last year and fell in love with it as well!
I have collected a pile of old cashmere jumpers now and am waiting for my own un-knitting factory.
amanda

Kim said...

Oh it is a lovely web! I can't wait to see it off the web! I really enjoyed your weavezine artical... I have been using felted sweaters, but maybe now I will try deconstructing one and reknitting or weaving... thanks for the inspiration. Thanks too for commenting on the photo order, now I know how to change mine! A triple winner!