Thursday, July 9, 2009

Blessing Baby Blanket

Let's begin at the beginning.

Part Gift/Part Commission----A Baby Blanket

Instead of a Color Horoscope Weaving Baby Blanket, I thought it would be delightful to create a baby blanket of blessings in Woven Words, one from each of the new baby's close relatives.

Ten blessing words were gathered and preliminary colors selected in Bambu 7. Actually the prospective mom selected only 13 of the 20 colors needed, so I filled in the other 7 colors with various shades of blue. (since aqua is her favorite color and I needed a place to begin) I also thought blue would help prevent the weaving from looking like a circus. Then I arranged the colors in what I believed to be a pleasing array.


Then I created a series of wrappings spelling out each of the blessings. I knew this would not be the final decision, but I had to have a place to start.

Color is so subjective, and you just have to see it.


Mom's decision---too blue! So I shuffled the colors and started at the warm end. Oh yes, an 11th word was added as well: CREATIVE. (I'll give you the whole rundown of the list of words in the next post)


Mom's decision---too red! So with just a little more tweaking, we have the final colors below.


I have never approached a project quite like this before and thought it would be nice to document from the inception.

5 comments:

Sandra Rude said...

Can't wait to see the warp on the loom, and the finished blanked!

Valerie said...

Oooooh! Thanks for showing us the design process. That is so helpful for me to see.

Cate Rose said...

How cool is that! Wonderful and beautiful.

Michelle said...

Oh gosh, you leave us hanging! What a unique idea. Can't wait to see the final project.

Peg in South Carolina said...

I have not been getting your posts but Bloglines tells me I'm subscribed. Grr. A wonderful post! Actually I'm not getting many posts through Bloglines. Thought it was just July....?