Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Plain Weaver Takes a Holiday

Once every ten years or so I like to crank up all 8 harnesses and all 10 treadles just for the fun of it. (and also to see if I really can do it)(grin)

This is an harness block twill, inspired by Coby Johnson, current president of the Missoula Weavers Guild. She presented a program on block twill over a year ago, and I decided I would like to give it a try. Unfortunately the draft is in Gary's loom bench across town, so if you want to draft, you will have to let me know.

I hate to admit that the square is the only part of the warp that I wove as I had to cut this off to make way for the Blessing Blanket. I removed the remaining warp and retained the cross, so I could put it back on the loom at a later date. The plaid (notice the twill) in the background will be the long awaited towels I owe for the towel exchange.

Sue and Sandra don't faint! I haven't finished them off yet. I messed up the sett and had to re-sley, so the really will be more of a square napkin than a towel.


Who said after weaving 52 years, one would stop making these silly gaffs.

Below is the wrapping I made for this warp---spells out the word "peace". There will be more about this in the weeks to come.

There is really much to tell, but since I will be heading off to teach in Alberta in a couple of days, the best I could do is to give you a taste of what I have been up to.

A word about the color choices for the towel/napkin/table mat. A while back I talked about achieving ZYG (zero yarn growth) by alternating projects featuring "stash reduction" followed by "stash expansion". Above is stash reduction.

7 comments:

James Pereira said...

Hi, nice blog, pls look-up http://true-shapherd.blogspot.in/

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Bonnie, the harness block twill is just lovely. I especially love the color choices you made. Looking forward to seeing the peace blanket when you are done weaving it. Enjoy your visit to Alberta, wish I was there to participate in your class.

Breanne said...

That teal and that orange! I want to eat it!

Sue Bye said...

I managed to pick myself up off the floor. Looks like the towel/napkin will be worth waiting for.

jessy said...

I really like your blog it's really nice.

Search Engine Marketing Company in india
Search Engine Optimization Company in india
Digital Marketing Company in india
Social Media Optimization Company in india
top web design companies
website design company
best website design companies
Website Design Companies
web development company india
web design company india

jessy said...

I really like your blog it's really nice.

Deals
best deals
travel deals
Cheap Deals
laptop deals
tv deals
online deals
best buy deals
great deals
camera deals

jessy said...

I really like your blog it's really nice.

Beats by dr dre
jbl headphones
harman kardon
house of marley