Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Plain Weaver Takes a Holiday

Once every ten years or so I like to crank up all 8 harnesses and all 10 treadles just for the fun of it. (and also to see if I really can do it)(grin)

This is an harness block twill, inspired by Coby Johnson, current president of the Missoula Weavers Guild. She presented a program on block twill over a year ago, and I decided I would like to give it a try. Unfortunately the draft is in Gary's loom bench across town, so if you want to draft, you will have to let me know.

I hate to admit that the square is the only part of the warp that I wove as I had to cut this off to make way for the Blessing Blanket. I removed the remaining warp and retained the cross, so I could put it back on the loom at a later date. The plaid (notice the twill) in the background will be the long awaited towels I owe for the towel exchange.

Sue and Sandra don't faint! I haven't finished them off yet. I messed up the sett and had to re-sley, so the really will be more of a square napkin than a towel.


Who said after weaving 52 years, one would stop making these silly gaffs.

Below is the wrapping I made for this warp---spells out the word "peace". There will be more about this in the weeks to come.

There is really much to tell, but since I will be heading off to teach in Alberta in a couple of days, the best I could do is to give you a taste of what I have been up to.

A word about the color choices for the towel/napkin/table mat. A while back I talked about achieving ZYG (zero yarn growth) by alternating projects featuring "stash reduction" followed by "stash expansion". Above is stash reduction.

4 comments:

James Pereira said...

Hi, nice blog, pls look-up http://true-shapherd.blogspot.in/

Anonymous said...

Bonnie, the harness block twill is just lovely. I especially love the color choices you made. Looking forward to seeing the peace blanket when you are done weaving it. Enjoy your visit to Alberta, wish I was there to participate in your class.

Breanne said...

That teal and that orange! I want to eat it!

Sue Bye said...

I managed to pick myself up off the floor. Looks like the towel/napkin will be worth waiting for.