Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Cashmere Sweater Kind of Day

Who would have thought when I put it out to the universe that I would trade a scarf woven in
Turned Weft Ikat bamboo warp and a recycled cashmere sweater weft in exchange for 10 cashmere sweaters that I would meet a charming fellow who collects cashmere sweaters!


I know there is a knack for taking the sweaters apart before they are raveled, but I have not hit upon it regularly enough to be able to repeat the process. Usually it takes me about 8 hours to reduce a sweater to approximately a half a pound of yarn rolled into fairly tight balls. It is a sitting around chatting kind of job if you happen upon company that needs to keep their hands busy. Unknitting is quite satisfying if you haven't been the one to knit the sweater in the first place.

The only problem with these particular sweaters is they are in perfect condition. I am saved by the fact none of them looks good on me.

I won't go into the rest of my day because I have very little to show for it. I didn't even get out on the patio to pet my dyed skeins (or take a picture of them). I will try again tomorrow although I have a day full of meetings.

2 comments:

Laritza said...

Those are pretty sweaters. For unraveling them. I can not understand why it would take you so long to unravel one. Here is what I would do. If they have seams at the shoulders, cut (yes with scissors) right close to the seam on both front and back. Same with the seams at the sleeve/body join. Say about a 1/4 of an inch or so on both sides. If they have seams on the sides of the body then that part I would pick, other wise it will cut the yarn in 1 row lengths! then unravel from the top down. Unless it is a very strange sweater construction it should work.

Bonnie said...

I seem to take some sort of pleasure in attempting to unjoin the pieces. It also pleases me to honor the fact that so few commercial sweaters are knit to shape.