Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Exploring Not So Plain Weave with Jockey Hollow Weavers

I am an hour away from leaving to teach a Turned Weft Ikat Workshop in Bellingham WA, but I couldn't leave without posting about the delightful workshop I taught to a more than delightful guild in New Jersey, the Jockey Hollow Weavers. I'm still not exactly sure where exactly I was in New Jersey, but I am sure this is a great bunch of weavers.

What a fabulous wall hanging, a work of art!


Usually I plan this workshop to last 3 days, but this one (a round robin) was a mere 2 days. I was certain the group would be unable to complete all the samples, but miraculously they did! The 13th warp didn't make it into the picture, but it got done. The main thing I learned is that I need to wind all of the warps myself and send them ready to go on the loom. It would have saved me and each student lots of time and effort although it would have increased the supply fee. In talking to the students afterward, they all agreed it would have been worth the extra money. I learned how to do leno in an efficient way, thanks to Barbara Herbster (grin). I learned that I should have brushed up on inlay, so I might appear to know what I am doing (another grin). I learned that students can get a lot more done than I think they can.


But mostly I am awed by the inventiveness of my fellow weavers and grateful for the opportunity of time well spent together. What a great bunch of ladies!

No comments: