Monday, October 8, 2007

Towel Experiment

The skeins of 8/2 cotton are from Dye Day #5. The cones of colored yarn are also 8/2 cotton although it looks and feels quite different. Just for the hell of it, I decided I would try combining the two in a short towel warp to see if the two yarns will combine without turning into seersucker.
But first there is the little matter of winding the skeins into balls. I have actually come to enjoy this process. I don't know why I selected the orange, tan and gold as my 3 solids except for the autumn season that is upon us. I also wanted to use colors I don't usually choose.

I may call this my Halloween Towel. Aside from the colors, the warp may turn into a trick or a treat once it goes into the washing machine. I have run into problems before mixing the same weight cotton from different yarn companies.

For some reason, writing this blog has made making mistakes quite acceptable. I take more risks. I am entertained by my "duh" moments. This is the first time, however, I put on a warp that I was fairly certain would be a problem. It is only a 3 yard warp, and it is all ready to go. Why am I doing this if I think it won't work? Because someone told me it would, and I want to see who is right.

2 comments:

Peg in South Carolina said...

Taking risks is good! How else are you going to grow?
And I also try to weave every day. I have never before kept a record of my daily weaving efforts but decided, with the blog, I would do it just for kicks. In any case, I think that even if I weave only half an inch, it keeps the rust away.
I once did an LX on false ikat.....Were you the mentor? I enjoyed it but decided warp painting was easier....... Perhaps dyeing your own skeins makes it easier than using commercial ones.

Bonnie said...

Hi Peg, I have begun following your blog and noticed that you were weaving everyday as well. It is a great practice.

I did write and article for the LX several years ago. I recall that I only had to write something for 4 or 5 of the people who signed up, so I don't know if I was the person who wrote your evaluation.

As for "easier", I think it depends on how much you like dyeing yarn. When I was asked to write the article, they wanted it to be using commercial dyed yarn because they said most people don't like to dye yarn.