Sunday, November 7, 2010

It's Funny How the Least Little Thing Can Stop a Gal


Although I haven't posted in a little over a week, my life has been quite full of non-weaving (and totally magnificent things which I will tell you about at another time). I arrived at this point in winding back my "Almost Ikat/Color Horoscope Weaving" and suffered what I like to call a "duh" moment.
I was feeling so clever about winding the ikat stripes first in order to give them a smooth flow. Why I began with the stripe in the middle, I will never know. (yes, the one that dips down was the first stripe, and the one that doesn't match up was the last). I just had to walk away....
Sometimes the problem seems to go away or correct itself as if by magic, but after several days I realized I would have to take action.
So I painstakingly adjusted the stripes....

But now that the loom is all threaded---low and behold, I over-compensated. The whole thing is wonky in the other direction. And the red stripe in the center continues to be "off". Now I have to decide---is it too off? Or does it have a lively sense of movement?

I know if I bring the client over to have a look she will be too polite to tell me what she really thinks.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Here is where the "fudge factor" really comes into play. (grin)

I am teaching a Color Horoscope Weaving workshop this coming weekend. I always like to weave a cloth dedicated to the workshop and spend my weaving time just prior to the workshop focused on the group. Perhaps this workshop is all about not being perfect.

Life is good here in Montana, and I know I made the right move at the right time. I am sure the Missoula Weavers Guild feels that way since they will not have to fly me here from Seattle (grin). They had hired me for this workshop months before I knew I was going to move here.

Blogs are all about moving forward for me, but I will soon give you an overview of the past week. It was too good to gloss over.

4 comments:

Syne Mitchell said...

I'm so happy to hear that good things are happening for you in Montana.

Gerri said...

I wish I had enough experience weaving ikat or almost ikat, to give you an informed opinion. You are the one with the vast experience and I think you can trust it. Put perfection aside, and think about how it will look, based on your knowledge, both of the technique and knowledge of past serendipity.

Can't wait to read about a week too good to gloss over-glad it happened!

Anonymous said...

You will never know how relieved I am to hear that the workshop may be more on process than perfection! I have had a couple of interesting learning experiences in the past few days. I am looking forward to the class - we will be awash in color, the best way to be.

100% said...

新人一枚,謝謝你來逛我家!