Sunday, September 6, 2009

But I Digress...

As my "to do" grows by leaps and bounds, what's a body to do? Learn something new! When the opportunity to have Syne Mitchell teach me the "ins and outs" of a rigid heddle loom (coupled with Indian food), who could resist. Workshop and lecture planning, proposal writing, and 104 lavender sachets----well, there is ALWAYS enough time.

I was going to call this post: CREATIVE PROCRASTINATION RIDES AGAIN or YOU CAN TEACH AN OLD DOG....


This wonderful picture of Syne and I was taken by Syne's delightful son, Kai! I do have to admit that I actually made a threading error (perhaps exactly at this moment). It made me laugh when I sat down to weave later that day.


Syne let me use some of her own dyed warp. I decided to put my lavender stems to good use. I am about to create 108 lavender sachets for the upcoming guild sale, so I have been collecting lavender from friends. Some friends give me lavender all ready to use and others have given me great bundles. At various points in the de-stemming process, my apartment has the aroma of a field of lavender. Oh well, I had to stick in that random stalk of yarrow.


It's funny, when I first started weaving back in the very early 60's, weed weaving was all the rage. So literally I am going back to my roots.


I just tacked it up on the wall without finishing off any of the ends. All in all, a totally satisfying event. I can't wait to see if I can manage to weave a Color Horoscope Weaving on a rigid heddle.

BUT I DO DIGRESS....

Oh, by the way check out my other blog

7 comments:

Unknown said...

How very cool! I bet it smells great.

svonsosten said...

LOVE IT!! Inspired procrastination, of course...

Kirsten said...

i have been reading your blog for a long time and always thought it would be fun to make a horoscope shall, but all i use is a rigid heddle. If you figure it out, or need someone to test I would love to.

Cate Rose said...

Beautiful, Bonnie! I've always loved weavings with reeds, but never got around to it. Probably never will, now! Have a good one.

Peg in South Carolina said...

I'm not so sure about the reeds, but I do like the weaving. I started on a rigid heddle and have always like the feel of intimacy I get with it. Mine is one that I push against a windowsill or a table edge, with the front of it at my waist. Kind of like a sophisticated and wider backstrap loom, but with a wooden framework. I don't get this kind of intimacy with a floor loom.

Gerri said...

As a rigid heddle weaver, all I can say to the color horoscope attempts on my type of loom is: "YES!!!"

I'm not very advanced but I enjoy it.

Gerri in St Paul

Dorothy said...

It's fun to be learning new things, and your new wall hanging is full of fun and colour. Now there's something else I can try on my new 2 shaft loom ;)