Sunday, February 15, 2009

Seek and Ye Shall Be Surprised at What Ye Find

While I continue to search (unsuccessfully) for an illusive document, I came upon a grant proposal I wrote and won in 1994. The Seattle Weavers Guild has an annual grant competition which I have applied to several times, but this is the only winner which I would like to share with you. My main reason for sharing this is if you ever have an opportunity to apply for a grant, do it. Whether you win the grant or not, writing it all down helps you focus.

PROPOSAL DESCRIPTION: (copied unedited although I am a bit embarrassed as I was rather full of myself. Thankfully I was limited to a single page). I will show you what I wove in the next post.

WHAT DO I WANT TO DO?

In the past few years, I have begun teaching and speaking about two original techniques, Easy Ikat and Color Horoscope Weaving, that I have developed over the past fifteen years. All of my textiles represent a unique and extensive study of the use of color in weaving. My Easy Ikat technique demonstrates a method of bringing spontaneity, flexibility and ease to a highly structured ancient technique. Color Horoscope Weaving, on the other hand, fulfills a need to create one-of-a-kind functional textiles within tightly structured boundaries. A working palette of twelve colors multiplies into more than five billion color possibilities. A long tradition of symbolic textiles in countries as diverse as Guatemala and Scotland come to life in these contemporary representations.

Most recently, I've embarked in a new direction, inspired by my fascination with Kente cloth. The result has been several blankets composed of panels that I have invisibly joined together.

My grant proposal is to combin all three (Easy Ikat, Color Horoscope Weaving, and invisibly joined panels) and create a wondrous blanket with written and photographic documentation suitable for publication.

WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?

My recent intense participation in the Seattle Weavers" Guild has demonstrated my ability to inspire other weavers. Sharing my design and weaving techniques and especially sharing my process is significant because it allows others to participate in the satisfaction and fulfillment I derive from my craft. Having the opportunity to join diverse interests, methods and cultures into a single project is important as well. Creation that echoes the voices of ancient weavers is a timeless connection to humanity.

HOW DOES IT CONTRIBUTE TO MY CROWTH AS A WEAVER/TEXTILE CRAFTSPERSON?

Since "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts", this proposal will represent a quantum leap for me. I usually rely heavily on my innate design and color sense to achieve spontaneity in my weavings. Combining these three techniques will result in many new and unexpected colors and designs, which will require the use of a more disciplined approach (sketches and sample warps).

BUDGET:

Yarn---$500

TIME FRAME FOR PROJECT:

I will present a morning program in October 1995 with slides and several weavings.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting! Do we get to see any pictures of the work you did on this grant project?