Saturday, January 12, 2008

Saturday Night Weaver

My silence has not been due to the fact that I haven't been working. I don't know if you remember this beautiful bamboo warp? Please click here to read A Cautionary Tale. I can't stand retelling the story although it was necessary for me to re-weave the shawl. I put it off as long as I could....

I knew I had to weave this piece before I could move forward into a new year. I did change the colors a bit and the spontaneous ikat stripes are a bit different.

The problem I faced with my first try is I couldn't make myself pack the weft tight enough because I didn't want to cover the warp with the chenille, and ended up weaving too loosely. I didn't make the same mistake this time.


Miraculously when I washed the shawl, the warp colors came through-- muted but certainly there. The tennis balls in the dryer worked really great! I will be delivering the shawl on Monday. I will attempt to get a picture of the owner wearing her shawl.

This was certainly a character building exercise, and I heartily resolve to never make the same mistake again!

Now I am moving forward again with just 11 days until my first Blogiversary. I am planning something special, so stay tuned....

5 comments:

Leigh said...

Thank you for sharing that Bonnie. The shawl looks absolutely scrumptious!

Laritza said...

Quite beautiful!

DebbieB said...

Very inspirational.

Valerie said...

It's beautiful. And thanks for encouraging us by showing us how you "got right back on the horse that threw you". I have a couple stalled warps on 2 of my looms. Time to jump start my weaving!

Unknown said...

so glad you shared that story, I just had to cut out about 5 inches of weft from a blanket because I had missed a rather serious error... at least I didn't have to reweave the whole thing.