Monday, February 26, 2007

The Best Part of Dyeing Yarn

The yarn is still wrapped, but you can see the wrapping sequence clearly now that the black stands out.
I don't know how my settings got changed. Now the pictures are off to the side. Oh well. See how exciting the yarn looks all unwrapped.
I couldn't resist taking an arty shot of the yarn while it was drying. I have several more, but this particular one struck my fancy this evening.

I don't have time to write a long essay this evening. I have to confess I didn't get all of the warps mailed off today. I am teaching a 3-day workshop (plus two 1-day workshops) at the Association of Southwest Handweavers Conference, March 20-25th. Actually this yarn is for the Easy Ikat class. Since it is only a 1-day workshop, the emphasis is on creating spontaneous designs after the yarn is dyed. I think the picture above gives an idea of what I am going for--design with what you have rather than think the design first and then try to dye the pattern second.

The 3-day workshop is called Exploring Not So Plain Weave. Each of the 12 students will be sent a unique warp ready to go on their loom which they warp at home before the workshop and arrive ready to weave. Each student will get to weave a sample on each of the 12 looms. It sounds pretty great in theory. I will let you know how it actually works out. I have heard from other teachers it can be quite a harrowing experience, but I just have to give it a try. Tomorrow morning all the warps will be on their way, and I can start making the sample notebooks.

2 comments:

Terri said...

I've attended several weaving workshops where you work round-robin weaving on others looms and it works! It's fun and you get to try out other looms. I highly recommend round-robin workshop weaving.

Bonnie said...

Yes Terri, I mailed off all of the warps today. I know it will be loads of fun for the students. It is the teachers who tell me how much prep work is involved. I plan to take my camera with me and will show you how it goes.

Thank you for the encouraging words!