Thursday, July 22, 2010

Giving and Receivingand Planning and Sampling


Before I begin, please check out the Color Horoscope Weaving Booth by Cotton Clouds at Convergence.

Again I was talking with Roberta about my trials in finding a new apartment, and she said "Why don't you move back to Montana?" I COULDN'T DO THAT! I replied emphatically. But I decided to pretend for just one day that I was, indeed, moving back to Missoula, Montana (where I lived for 12 years and moved away from 30 years ago). As soon as I opened to the possibility, it was as if I had fallen in love (you know that feeling). Ten pounds (of the 20 I gained in the past 2 years) fell away as if by magic. I am filled with energy and excitement. I didn't share this sooner because I was remaining open to the possibility that some wonderful living situation in Seattle would appear (didn't happen).

So I have been sorting, tossing, selling and (the most exciting) gifting my possessions in preparation for a new chapter in my life. My last day in this apartment will be August 31. I will be heading over to Montana to Weave at the beginning of August, but will return mid-August to pack in earnest. I will be offering gifts to everyone (especially my blog readers) then.

Meanwhile finishing up----The Memory Mitzvah is complete and ready to go to the framer.


I realized I still have one more weaving to do before I leave. (well, I really have more than one, but this one is going on Grace). Cheryl Kolander of Aurora Silk is natural dyeing silk for the Dalai Lama weaving. I have not tried to combine my recycled cashmere with silk. I have been using the cashmere with bamboo which has a lot more tooth. Earlier experiments combining wool and silk has not been particularly satisfying to me.

While waiting for the silk to arrive (and pawing through my old yarn stash), I found some yarn that Cheryl had dyed for me back in the 80's. Although the yarn size is different from the yarn I will be using, I thought this would make a good sample.


This yarn is totally yummy. I used to weave Color Horoscope Weavings with it when back when. I no longer have the whole spectrum, but there is certainly enough. Of course there is always this fun part---winding balls.


And the next fun part, winding warp. (I will tell you about this warp in a later post)


And the final fun part of dressing the loom.


Grace is excited to be working again---as am I.

I received a comment from Lindsey asking if I will be selling instructions for the Dalai Lama's horoscope. I had not thought of it, but now that I have, I believe that I will make the draft available on my blog (once I figure out how to do that) . Thanks for the idea, Lindsey!

2 comments:

Peg in South Carolina said...

I am so happy for you! Now if only I could wish you moved with the work all done as if by magic!

Cate Rose said...

Congrats, Bonnie, on a new world of possibility opening up to you. I'm really happy for you!!